We have put together a comprehensive list on how to adjust the springs on a garage door just for some of our professionals out there. If you are a homeowner we do not recommend that you try this on your own. The team at Quick Name is available 24/7 to handle all your garage door needs, including spring adjustments.
1. What Type of Springs Does Your Garage Door Have?
Garage doors only have one of two types of springs, torsion or extension. Torsion springs should only be adjusted by a professional. Side-mounted extension springs are easier to adjust but it is important to still call a more experienced professional if necessary.
Side Mounted Springs
Side mounted extension springs run parallel to the track above it. There should be two springs on each side. It is attached to a pulley and cable that holds the springs and connects to the track hanger assembly.
Torsion springs are designed to create torque upon winding and counterbalance the door. It is located above the door jam along a metal pipe.
2. Diagnose The Issue At Hand
You are going to need to figure out what exactly is causing the problem. Once you have determined what the problem maybe you can then figure out a solution. Some issues that can arise with problematic springs are:
● Doors that will not close all the way
● Doors that may swing open and closed
● Hard to open garage doors
● When the door is supposed to be closed there’s a gap
3. Solving The Problem
Once you have pinpointed the problem you can then come up with an effective solution to the faulty spring or springs:
● Gaps- You will want to adjust the tension on the side it is raised.
● Door opening too quickly- You will want to increase the tension.
● Hard to open or close the door- You will want to then decrease the tension.
4. Adjust The Springs Accordingly
From this point you can make the adjustments needed to calibrate the springs to maintain proper tension:
● Unplug the opener
● Pull the emergency release cord
● Open the door so you release the tension and support the door
● Secure the door with clamps so it doesn’t roll while you work
● Adjust the springs according to the manufacturer’s instructions and whether it’s torsion or extension
Once you have modified the tension you are going to need to test the garage door to make sure it is operating properly. Un-do the clamp from the door and re-attach it to the trolley. Plug in the opener and push the remote button. Once you do this you will be able to see if you properly calibrated the garage door springs.
We Can Properly and Safely Adjust Your Garage Door Springs
If you are not a trained professional and need your springs adjusted the Quick Name team has trained professionals that are experienced to handle the job. We are able to handle the job in a timely and safe manner. No need to risk you or your family’s safety if it is not necessary, give us a call today!