If you are in need of a new garage door opener in the Indianapolis area, then you are in the right place. We partner with several quality garage door opener brands to bring you a reliable and affordable product. Our team at Starlite Garage Doors is happy to serve you!
Different Openers for Different Needs
There are four main types of garage door openers on the market today. We have put together a little information for you so you can see the difference and find the one that will work for you.
- Screw drive opener: This used a large screw rod that rotates in the trolley to operate the opening and closing mechanism of your door. These are quiet and carry a moderate price tag. They are becoming increasingly popular because of how strong and durable they are.
- Cable drive opener: here are still the go-to choice for residential builders as they carry the lowest price tag and offer reliability and durability. These types of openers will last for years and require very little maintenance. The one downside with the chain drive operation is that it is noisy
- Belt drive opener: This type of opener operates like a chain drive but with a large belt instead of a chain. It requires little maintenance and provides for nearly noiseless operation. The one disadvantage is that the belt wears out.
- Wall mount openers: These openers are mounted on the wall on either side of your garage door and require no trolley system. The belt drive provides for quiet operation and the lack of overhead opener mechanisms hanging from your ceiling means that you can now use your vertical space in your garage for other things.
Some Things to Consider When it Comes to Features
Garage door openers come with what seems like an endless amount of features. You can get a basic and compact chain drive opener that works to simply open and close your garage. If you are more feature savvy, then we have outlined some things to consider when picking out your new opener:
- Motor strength: If you have heavy wooden, insulated, or reinforced doors, go with a ¾ hp motor to lift the heavy doors
- Timer-to-Close option: If you often find that your garage door has been left open, this might be a good option for you. You can program your door to automatically close after a preset amount of time. Of course, this does not override your automatic reversal system and will still retract if there is a child or pet in the way.
- Built in Wi-Fi: If you want to connect your garage to your home’s Wi-Fi.
- MyQ technology: This app allows you to operate your garage with your smartphone. It will alert you whenever your garage is opened or closed so you know when your kids get home from school. You can open it or close it from wherever you are at so you can let guests in or close your garage door if you forgot
- Homelink: This is a feature offered with a few openers and connects your garage door to your car